2/22/11

The Machinists

I've been reading my books this weekend.  This one is way better than this one.

The former comes with a hip check-list to better keep track of your rebuild.  And the DVD is really good also.

I went to the machine shop, and talked to some nice old crusty machinists.  They said
$600-$900 for all the deck planing, boring, honing, head rebuilding etc.  If the rods don't clear the case correctly, it could be an additional $300 in grinding time.  So, worst case scenario, about 1200 bucks.  I don't really have a basis for comparison.  Is that a good price?

Then I went to NAPA and picked up some shop rags, a drip pan (way overdue for that one), a harmonic balancer puller, gasket scraper, and some length of fuel line to use as a bolt-shield for when I pull the pistons out (I'll take pictures of that when I do it).

Bonus: Got my taxes done today, had a good cry.

2 comments:

  1. A drip pan? Why would you ever need one of those?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That price is not bad at all, try doing a pontiac motor :(

    ReplyDelete