3/14/11

Welcome to the Machining

I checked in with the machinists on Friday and we closed in on a plan.  Since the block had been bored to ~.034 over before, we're going with .040 over on the cylinders.  Bob said he'd look at rotating packages from Eagle, likely similar to the assembly posted earlier, but he did mention the beefier "H-beam" rods instead of the "I-beam" rods that I was looking at.

He mentioned a custom cam builder that grinds 383 application-specific cams (a cam is the bit that spins and pushes up on the lifters that push on the push rods that open and close the intake and exhaust valves that allow the engine to breathe).  Going with a full roller timing chain (which means the chain links have bearing where the interface with the sprockets to reduce friction and wear).

I'm unsure about using roller lifters or not.  I've been reading on the hot rod mags that solid lifters need more zinc in the oil they use.  So, I may just go with the more expensive lifters just to avoid using special oil in the engine.

Duane also recommended I upgrade to 194 valves on the heads of the engine.  This will increase the amount of intake air the engine can breathe in, but other than that, the heads looked good to them.  Though, they haven't taken the heads apart and examined the valves.

Gaskets will be included in the rotating package price, which is yet to be determined.

So I'll probably drop a hefty down payment soon for all the engine parts and machining to be done on the block and heads.  Still not sure when I'll get the parts back to resume construction on the engine.  I will keep you posted.

2 comments: