3/1/11

Why am I doing this?

I often ask myself why I'm repairing my old car.  Practically, it makes little sense.  I mean, it's 43 years old. It won't have cruise control, or anti-lock brakes.  It won't ever handle that well.  And if the engine turns out to be anything close to as powerful as I want it to be, it may be hard to just keep it on the road.

Being something of a pragmatist, I find myself often posing the question, "why?"

There's not one answer I can really give.  I feel it has to be done for a few reasons.  Aesthetically I find this car to be beautiful.  Almost elegant, really.  Which is a horrible thing to say of a "muscle car".  I don't necessarily think all generation one Camaros have this quality.  Honestly, I don't think this of most Camaros, to be sure.  There's something of a "hillbilly" reputation that Camaros come with.  Part of the appeal is to see how far I can break away from that stigma and still have something quintessentially American/GM.  There's an interesting tension in there.

However there is something about *my* car that has poise.  The long sloping nose, the square jutting hood scoop.  The arched haunches, and feminine-tapered grace of the roof line.  You'd be hard pressed to find a better looking American car of the late 60's.

But aesthetics only go so far.  I also love that this project is so tangible.  I'm using my hands to make something physical... very physical.  This is a vast departure from my day job... all mental gymnastics and repetition (depending on the day).  Where as my job is pensive and and collaborative, the car is a lot of isolation and testosterone.

Speaking of which, there's something inherently manly about it rebuilding a car.  Which I'll be happy to brag about to my guy friends when I'm finished.  In a time when masculinity is often looked at in the pejorative, the preservation and enhancement of a vintage vehicle is a worthy cause.  Some balk at the amount of gas it will surely consume.  To them I say, "I drive a Civic."  I even ride my bike to work in the summer.  Further, having an interesting project close to home keeps me from driving up and down I-5 every weekend, and may, in some ways, save gas.

Finally, it's something worth owning.  I've found increasingly difficult to find things worth owning.  By that, I mean: what could I pass on to my grandkids (should I be so blessed).  It seems America has gone the way of the quick and cheap.  Not much stands the test of time.  I can't really think of a single "future antique" that I own.  This makes me sad.  Modern cars mostly plastic; disposable.  I love the thought of this car being driven 20 or 30 years down the road.  I don't often feel like I've done much in my life worth doing.  There's something in a man that wants to leave a legacy.  Perhaps this will be a part of mine.

2 comments:

  1. Well written.
    As a female who has admittedly criticized the curious car-restoration/masculine-definitive complex, this post enlightened and expanded my schema of auto mechanics and supporting rationale.

    You'll be the best Grandpa ever! (Besides my dad)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The middle of your post reminds me of a book that once resided in my parents basement sans the use of the word "nipple". 'Malibu' anyone?

    ReplyDelete