1/30/11

Serendipity, Pt.1

It's Friday night.  After a semi-productive band practice up North, I get a call from P.S. who has arrived at my house, in my absence.  Luckily I left a key so he could get in while J.W. and I make our way back to to my place for a weekend of car and alcohol related activity.

By the time we all sorted out our greetings it was about 12 am, so we decided to get to work in the garage.

First order of business, clean the garage floor.  Now I had sprayed it down and spot-washed areas where oil and/or automatic transmission fluid had pooled on the concrete floor the day before.  Note: hand soap works ok, detergent not so much.

In the interim 24 hours when I had washed the floor and put the car back in the garage it had leaked MORE fluid.  So we needed to clean up a little before the garage mat I bought could go down.  I read that baking soda can lift some stains.
The proper use of baking soda.
It doesn't work so well.

Anyway, then we rolled out the garage mat.
It's got grooves that channel fluids toward the garage door side.
It did come in handy.  Fully recommended.

The next order of business was to drain the transmission fluid.  First we removed some of the metal lines that leave the tranny for the radiator.  No fluid was forthcoming.  After failing to locate a drain plug on the transmission pan (there isn't one, which is pretty dumb), we just unbolted all but three bolts on one side and pried on one side till we were able to drain the fluid.
J.W. draining the fluid.
We then left the pan off for the fluid to drain overnight.  To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment