1/1/11

What am I doing?

I have made a resolution: I will fix my car

These five simple words are now going to occupy my weekends for the next six months. I'm no mechanic (hence the title of the blog) and I've really only a theoretical knowledge of how cars work. I hope that between my cursory knowledge, the internet and some helping hands along the way I will succeed in my goal.

The Car
Make - Chevrolet
Model - Camaro RS
Year - 1967
Engine - 1969 Chevy 350 (originally from an Impala)
  • Carb - Edelbrock 1405 Performer 600cfm
  • Intake - Edelbrock Performer dual-plane
  • Heads - Unknown
  • Lifters - Unknown
  • Rockers - Unknown
  • Camshaft - Edelbrock Performer (unknown model)
  • Ignition - Unknown High Energy Ignition (HEI)
Transmission - 400 Turboglide 3-speed automatic
Torque Converter - unknown
Exhaust - Headers and mufflers (brand unknown)
Brakes - Stock drum
Rear End - Stock 10 bolt
Suspension - Stock with rear air shocks (brand unknown)

Clearly there's a lot about this car that I don't know. Although I should, because it and I have...

A Little History
In 1993 my older brother acquired the Camaro for $5200 dollars. It was in decent shape and ran consistently, if sub-optimally.

I inherited the car in 1996 when my brother went off to the Army.

Since then I've crashed it twice, paid various mechanics of various skill and honesty an untold sum of money to install or repair various bits and pieces. Alas it has been sitting on jack stands for the past seven years. Now that I've got my own place and a decent garage I am going to attempt to restore the car to excellent working and aesthetic condition.

State of the Union
It doesn't run. It leaks transmission fluid. The interior smells of gas, feels oily, and looks middling to poor. The exterior looks good at first glance, but the rain gutters are bubbling with rust, the seams don't look uniform (on the side where I was hit by a car), and there is light scratching throughout the paint, especially on the trunk. The headlight covers have never worked. The wiring is a mess. Left muffler rattles against the floorboards. Interior lights don't work. The glove box won't open. Braking is always a gamble (and pulls to the left). Air conditioning is just dead weight, radio doesn't work at all and the heater only works on the foot setting.

The Plan
Stage 1 - Engine and drivetrain
Stage 2 - Suspension and Brakes
Stage 3 - Exterior and interior

In stage 1 I hope to get the engine rebuilt to a 383 stroker, install a positrac rear end, new mufflers and headers, and have the transmission rebuilt. I hope to do this work mostly by myself (except the machine shop work, and the tranny). July 4th 2011 I will be finished with stage 1.

Stage 2 and stage 3 are tentatively scheduled for July 4th of the subsequent years (2012, 2013).

My first steps: clean the garage, rebuild the carb.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Skull Fog-

    It's Jason. Looks like you're off to a good start. Just keep being meticulous with the disassembly and parts cataloging. The exhaust note can be fixed by using some larger diameter pipe. I would go 2.5" and youtube some cars with an x-pipe. I've got 3" pipes with the x pipe on my car. Gives it a bit more sophisticated note. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUlvp_tk-pc&feature=related
    dudes may tell you that you will lose torque with the larger pipes, but I would rather have a cool sounding car and lose a coule lb/ft of torque. you will also gain high rpm hp. As far as the motor goes, I would suggest buying the crate motor of your choice and plopping it in there...unless you really want to learn to rebuild on your own. The crate motor will usually come with a warranty and will be a known quantity as far as hp numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about getting a crate, but would like to learn how to rebuild it on my own. I figure it's one of the few parts of the car I actually could do... it's not like I'm going to do the paint/body or upholstery anyway.

    Thanks for checking in on my progress, and I'll listen to the x-pipes on youtube!

    ReplyDelete