1/25/11

Sometimes When Things Happen...

You just wish you had a camera.  And sometimes you do.

This last weekend, I was able to remove: the starter/solenoid, the gas pump, both of the headers (even the stuck one), almost every tube/wire to the engine save for two.

  1. Some tube to the power steering reservoir... I unfastened the clamp, but the tube won't budge, I may end up just cutting it off.
  2. A ground wire(?) that is affixed to a bolt that holds the bell housing of the transmission to the engine proper.
I removed some long, thin, metal tubes that apparently took transmission fluid from the gearbox and sent it to the radiator for cooling (I assume).  And then I removed this piece of tubing
It was attached to a brass L shaped fitting at the top of the intake manifold, here
It's the brass bit that looks like it's pointing toward the distributor (brown thingy) on top of the intake manifold (aluminum thingy).
I removed the end that was affixed to the manifold, but the other end wasn't attached to anything... at least it wasn't any more.  Big mystery.  Who knows what it is?  And where does it go?

After that work was done, I took a break.
And that pretty much ended my work for the weekend.  However, I was able to jet down to Eugene today to pick up...
A nice heater and an engine stand from a pleasant older gentleman who used it to rebuild his Chevy 350 into a 383, just as I plan to do.

His advice: "Get a crate motor."  Haha- here's to ignoring the advice of old men and sage friends!

1 comment:

  1. Yo Erick-

    That mystery tube sends vacuum to the vacuum modulator on your TH400 trans. Basically controls the point at which your trans "kicks down" to a lower gear based on the amount of vacuum created in the intake manifold when you romp on the gas pedal.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete